Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Primer día en México


Tomorrow will be my first day at work, so today was the opportunity to buy supplies for the house and my classroom, figure out where things are, buy a cell phone, and learn the bus system.  I am now the proud owner of a little Nokia that ribbits when you call!  I got 50 pesos ($5 USD) worth of time with the phone, which translate into who knows how many phone calls. Monica's mother took Regina and I around the northern part of town; Cuernavaca is long and narrow, and it will have to be another day's adventuring out to get into the downtown (el centro). On our way back to the house, we stopped at the local mercado to have lunch- mine was a big bowl of caldo de pollo (I know, not very adventurous!) that we ate with freshly made tortillas. Being a vegetarian is hard in Latin America - the choices for the plato del día were pork, chicken, or beef.  The market is in the perfect spot, since it's right were I get the bus to Huitzilac.  I'm looking forward to buying hot tortillas from the market every day on my way home from work!  Tomorrow I get a ride with my mentora to work, where I'm told we'll be in meetings (just like the US!) and be working on curriculum together.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Que bueno-what an adventure. I've marked it in my favorites and will follow with envy-Catalina