Friday, August 15, 2008

Thunderstorms and Time


This evening we were startled by a massive thunder and lightening storm that lasted for several hours - the first booms were normal by Oregon standards, but then a deafening CRAK! and accompanying flash of lightening sent us scrambling to the window, convinced we would see the neighbor's house in flames.  It was the loudest thunderclap I've ever heard!  The thunder and lightening show went on for several more hours, and although the storm has moved away from the city, we can still hear rolling booms and see occasional flashes.  I'm surprised we haven't lost power- the lights only flickered once.

   Today was the last day of work before the kids come on Monday.  Here is what my schedule looked like: 
       9:15 arrive with my carpool
       9:15-10ish   Chat with the academic office secretaries, get my class schedule, which is not official until it has signatures (but will work for now), and get the evaluation schedule for the first semester. I find out we do not have classes at all in January, which is used for make-up exams for students who fa
iled first semester. I also find out we do not have classes this coming Friday (the first week of school).  
      10:-10:40 Sit in on a session with visiting college students who are here to learn about the school's agricultural and ecological mission; Wal-Mart is critiqued by the teachers for buying local produce cheaply and selling it at a much higher price in its stores.   
      10:40-11  Get into my classroom, clean dirt off walls, move desks and put up wall map - I am warned it will probably be stolen but I decide to take my chances (I have brought extra maps).   
       11 - we are supposed to have a staff meeting, but my mentor asks around and nobody is going to it yet, so we go into the computer lab, which is where I will be teaching first on Monday
      11-11:40 We work on figuring out the computer system, which is new to me and relatively new to her as well.  She knows how to get the 
machines working and monitor the student's computers, and together we figure out where the
instruction manuals are for the language program so we can create lessons and have students do speaking practice with each other.  
    11:45 - We decide to go see if the reunión is happening; it is, and we join our team for team planning 
     12-1:ish We work with our team (teams are by levels and then career focus) on paperwork for the year.  Conversation is lively as teachers discuss concerns about students - Internet plagiarism, students not being able to read at grade level, lack of supplies for teaching subject, lack of security for materials in classrooms, concern about non-ecological use of paper (let's not ask for plastic covers, one teacher requests of group).  Each subject teacher goes around and states how their subject can support the other subjects (ex: in Reading class the teacher will work with students on grammar so that in English class they already know what a noun and verb is).  We don't finish, but next Friday when classes are cancelled we will have time to work.  My mentora and I both also teaching levels attached to other teams; I'm not sure when we'll be working with them on the paperwork we have to fill out.  
     1:00  Return to academic secretary office, eat flan that one of them has brought to sell.  I get information on an American student for whom I will be helping coordinate a community service project for starting next month. 
     1:30  Finally return to my classroom, where I have not yet finished with labeling chairs with colored numbers for grouping on the first day.  
    1:50  My carpool has to leave; I am not yet done, and will come in on Saturday to finish with my classroom.  I am feeling a world away from Harry Wong's "First Days" philosophy.    

No comments: